Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day 1

The mission: put down the beer, turn off the tv, get off the couch, go outside and run a marathon. Seems simple enough. The furthest I’ve ever run was 10 miles, and that was 20 years/60 pounds ago. Minus the occasional saunter through a gym, I’ve not spent any serious time working out for a very long time. I am, to put it bluntly, in sad enough shape to make the statement “I’m going to run a marathon” make those around me smirk at the mental picture of my huffing and puffing down the street.




I am going to run a marathon, and I’m going to write about my journey from zero to hero.


I once read a general critique of blogs which asserted the majority of them were poorly written, self-indulgent dribble. This one will be no different (just to set expectations). So why do it? Two reasons:


  1. I’ve been threatening to run a marathon for several years now, but it’s time to put my money where my mouth has been. Keeping a journal available for public consumption is a great motivator to keep me brutally honest about training (or lack there-of).
  2. If I guy like me can do it, anyone can. If the good/bad/ugly of my tale helps anyone else…than I’ve done a little good in the world (and that has to count for something…right?).

No comments:

Post a Comment